Thursday, July 16, 2009

After The End by Barry Lane

After I read Lane, I like the segment when he describes in chapter seven about "Praise is the glue"(pag 124) I agree with Lane. We should praise our students instead of criticized them. Many of my students write very well, when I praise them. They are always expecting some reward after their work. Even though my reward is somethingh like when I said to them " Good job" they feel more important than somebody else. What I am going to add in my style of teaching will be... writing a letter to the best writer and write a letter to a weakest writer and praise them for their work. Unintentionally I used to praise a student who did their best in class and I forgot to the one are always behind.

After reading Lane article, I realize how wrong I was by not praising the one were always behind. Now I think that I am going to write a letter to all my students and praise them for their effort in class. By doing that, I think they will be more excited to participate in class. Read these letters out loud will be another thing that I am going to do.

2 comments:

  1. I can see you got some new strategies reading Lane. The letter idea is excellent. I may have to "borrow" it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it is important to meet them where they are and praise specific improvements you see in their growth. I am likely to praise generally instead of for specific growth and need to change that behavior in my conferencing style.

    ReplyDelete