Saturday, July 18, 2009

I'll do it my way: Three writers and their revision practices by Stephanie Dix

In "I'll do it my way: Three writers and their revision practices," Stephanie Dix states that "students work differently when writing texts. Not only did they compose and revise texts in their own ways, but they also approached the construction of poetic and transactional texts differently." I agree with Dix. In my point of view, I revise my texts the same way as Anna (One of the student writer that was selected to describe how she construct and revise her different texts in her own way) I use the same technique. I revise my texts in different two ways. In my poetic writing, I start with a rough draft, first draft and second draft. Then, I proofread them and make the final corrections. While I revising it, I add new ideas in order to support my thinking or take away some ideas that I thing does not fit in my writing. Having Spanish as my primary language. It was difficult for me to express what I wanted to say in English. I remember using pages and pages to write my ideas down until I new that my essays were well developed. In my transactional writing I approach differently, I revise and revise constantly. I like to make a lot of changes in my papers until I know that my writing is accurate and interesting. I revise my texts throughout my writing.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny that we as more experienced writers all revise in different ways, yet we expect our students to revise in the same way. I revise differently depending on what type of writing I am doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to read an article that focused on writing process for people who are writing in a second language!

    ReplyDelete