Thursday, July 9, 2009

Britton Reflection

I Totally agree with Britton. He wrote "I am inclined to believe that young children rely upon speech for all that they want to communicate and that when they write before going to school their writing takes the form of a "construct" or a performance. I have seen many examples of stories written, illustrated and decorated, the pages stitched or clipped together to make little books" (Pag. 4). I have been working with young children who are in first and second grades. Although, my first grade students do not know how to write complete sentences, I encouraged them to draw pictures. After they finish drawing a picture, I tell them to color what they drew. Then in order to complete their writting projects, I ask them to explain to me what they see in their decorated papers. As an example, A girl told me that in her picture was her mom dad and herself going to the store to buy groceries, she said it was a rainy day. After listening to her, I said an then: What happened? She told me that her parents bought milk, cheese and many more things because they did not have food in their refrigerator. So, I wrote what she told me below her picture in order to make a little book of her own. She was so proud of herself about her picture an her writing. I believe that is very important to ask our student this question: Then what happened? By asking this question, we encouraged them to amplify their writting.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Britton as well.Consecuently I agree with you when you said, that is very important to ask the students about their drawing in order to encourage them amplifing their writing.
    I wuould like to add something that I think is very important,as a teacher we need to praise our students not only for what have been done, but for the courage to express their thinking in a piece of paper, as drawing or formal writing.If we praise our students, we are building confidence at the same time, which is crucial in the process of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Questions and encouragement are essential. However, me want to move beyond asking "Then what happened?" to, "Tell me more about this or that part." Amplification comes as result of focusing on one incident and providing more details. We don't necessarily want to encourage a strict chronology only, but we want them to come to understand what might be the most important of the details of their stories. We want to model the idea of selectivity, a trait of mature writers.

    ReplyDelete