Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Art of teaching Writing

After I read Calkin's article, I realized that time, minilessons, consistency and publishing are really big deal in order to develop a writing workshop. I think by giving my students more time to write can help them to come up with new ideas or topics. Calkins suggests to place the students where they feel more confortable. I think I am going to apply that in my class. Calkins explains that minilessons are very important in a writing workshop. Even though, a minilesson look like a miniature speeches, it will help the students to think about what already know. Calkins says "Sometimes the mini-lesson will be designed to create a warm glow around the workshop. The easiest way to do this is to read aloud from wonderful literature -a story, a poem-and to do so without turning the reading into a lesson" I agree with her. I would like to apply the minilesson in my classroom, since I am working with young children, I think they would love it.


Calkins explains that consistency and publishing are really important as well. Consistency in what we do. Let the students write at least 15 minutes every day. Encourage the students to publish their work. It can be in the on the bulletin board or sending their pieces to a contest. I think by publishing we are praising the students work. I actually planning to invite parents and grandparents when is time to publish my students work.

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate the detail Calkin gave to the minilesson. I can see the minilesson being a great success in my future classrooms if done properly. I'm grateful that she did all the research and spent the years perfecting it so that I don't have to, well I will have to adapt it to my classroom but now I won't completely fail on my face and think that it's the minilesson's fault!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that if I create the right culture in my classroom, students love to share, a form of publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent reflection. I agree what you said about minilessons!

    ReplyDelete