Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Teaching Conventions in a state-Mandated Testing Context.

In Warne article "Teaching Conventions in a State-Mandated Testing Context" Warne states that "On days when the students struggle to put the parts together into a sentence, I treated it like a word play, a puzzle, or a game. Their experimentation carried over into their writing." I think this is the best way to approach students instead or forcing them to write. After having Warne in our classroom for a session this afternoon, I realized how she was really connected with her High School students. I think Bonnie is one of the teachers who stand for a change in the educational system. She have proved that using a book review in order to teach grammar is a good technique especially if some of the students do not like to write. It is a very good way to approach them in order to have successful students in writing.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about Bonnie connecting with her kids. She also does stand for change in the schools. I am so glad she agreed to come and speak today. I love her ideas and thoughts. Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree! I think it is a wonderful idea to use popular texts that the students are reading and enjoying to teach grammar lessons. The grammar book is dull and boring, but the young adult novel is real and fresh!

    ReplyDelete