Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What's Right with writing By Linda Rief

After I read Rief"s article there was something that called my attention when Linda was invited to teach at Haapsalu, Estonia to teach to a seventh grade class. (pag 35) She says, "They were not accustomed to facing each other, let alone talking each to other. They were used to a teacher delivering information, and understood that their role was to parrot back that information exactly as it was presented. No diversions, No question, No disagreements, No imagining, Absolutely No critical or evaluative thinking. At least that they dared to voice" I came from a country that uses the same criteria. However, I think students should have the freedom express their own ideas, beliefs and criteria in order to express themselves. As an example, when I teach to my class I tried to sit and listen to students instead of lectured them. Of course, I do introduce the classs the topic and explain what is going to be about. Then, I let them to parcipate in the class. I always try to encourage all of them to participate. Even though, we do not have enough time. I let them participate the next day. By doing that I think I am giving them the freedom to express their feelings, beliefs, dreams, tragedies and wishes. If I have the opportunity to go back and teach in Peru, I would like to change the whole educational system.

3 comments:

  1. I loved her entire article, but this section brought me to tears. It also reminds me that we (here in the USA) often take so much for granted -- and sometimes experience with lack or the fire of trials teaches us gratefulness and awareness. We must be ever vigilant, I believe, in order to protect our freedoms of expression even here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Providing an atmosphere in which students feel free and safe to express their ideas is a crucial step in their learning. Then we can further their ability to express their ideas through effective writing instruction. I hope you do get the chance to change Peru's entire educational system! If not, you will at least affect the lives of the students in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rief's story really resonated with me, too. When I walk into the classroom for the first time, the students are always staring at me from rows of desks! I try to break that dynamic right away by having them circle their desks, and I take a small desk as a part of the circle, too.

    ReplyDelete